Return to page one

Click for next page
  Click the BACK image to return.

Click here to exit this issue

Click NEXT PAGE to continue  

PAGE 2 OF THE JUNE 1994 ISSUE OF PASS PATROL CAMPFIRE TALES

Keep in mind, the stories here were written in 1994.  A LOT HAS CHANGED.

This issue includes
Horseshoe Canyon

Campfire Tales - June of 1994.  This issue recovered by Robert Noll, aka Sundance

LUCKY LEDGE TRAIL

“Outlaw,” Sundance called over the C.B. radio.  “Do you have any idea where we are?”

“Don’t ask me,” Outlaw responded.  “You’re the one in the lead.”

“I think the road just ended.”

The saying around camp is, “When Outlaw gets out a map, it’s time to fasten the seat belt.”

Wild Coyote, Sundance, Sunshine, and Outlaw gathered around the hood of Outlaw’s 4x4 and compared the map to the canyon walls surrounding them.

“According to the map,” Outlaw chuckled.  “There’s a pack mule trail going up the canyon wall ahead on the right.”

Outlaw took the lead and started up a faint trail.  Although it had obviously been used by 4x4s in the past, it may have been a long time gone.  A short distance up the trail, Outlaw came to a stop and walked around a curve in the road.  He quickly returned to his 4x4 and continued around the curve

“It’s really narrow, but I got past it.  Bring the Amigo up next so we’ll have a Warn winch in front of the Bronco in case we need it.”

Wild Coyote followed Outlaw’s tracks up the trail and found the obstacle that was causing the concern.  A huge boulder, about the size of a truck, had fallen from the cliff above and was positioned smack in the middle of the trail.  Getting around it, required putting the passenger side tire within a foot of the edge of the cliff and making the turn in the trail at the same time.  The Amigo cleared the rock and the cliff with room to spare.

“We won’t know if that big Bronco will fit until we get it up here,” Outlaw warned Sundance.  “If you would rather not try it, we can go back the way we came in.”

“No way,” Sundance responded.  “This is gonna be fun.”

“You’re nuts,” Sunshine remarked.  “You’re as crazy as that old Outlaw.  Give me the camcorder.  That way you won’t damage it if you roll the truck off the cliff.”

As the Bronco squeezed between the rock and cliff, the passenger side tires were running right on the edge of the cliff. 

Copyright (c) 2016 Lone Writer, LLC. All rights reserved.

Click here to continue story