Return to Page One

Click for next page
  Click the BACK image to return.

Click here to exit this issue

Click NEXT PAGE to continue  

This is Page 2 of the April Issue of 1993

Actually, I broke it before I left Denver.  I just didn’t know it.  It all started when Texin came by the shop and started playing with my wheel.  “You better pack this hub before you leave.”

“How do I do that,” I responded.  “The only thing I know about a 4x4 is when I put it in low range, it boldly takes me places I ain’t never been before.”

“It’s easy,” he grinned as he headed for his Jeep.  “Just pull the wheel off and put grease in the bearings.  See ya Friday.”

On his advice, I pulled the wheel off the Rocky and shoved in lots of grease.  In the process, I broke a key off the washer that goes between the nut that holds the wheel on, and the one that holds the nut that holds the wheel on.  Not knowing any better, I put it back together, tossed in the camping gear, and headed for Utah.  Along the way, the nuts worked loose and I’m not real sure what kept the wheel from falling off along the way.  I spent the next 30 minutes tightening it down again so I could get through the weekend.

The rest of the day, our Dirty Dozen went out and got dirty.  Dusty, Postman, Melissa, and I visited Gemini Bridges, Bull Canyon, and Gold Bar Rim.  Road Kill went into Moab looking for truck parts.  Blue Moon and South Paw had not yet arrived.

MacGyver and Peddler were staying in the same camp with us, but not there to join us for our scheduled trips.  While packing their vehicles, they talked Texin, Caveman and Kentuckian into joining them on the Golden Spike Trail.  It’s a mean-mannered VDL trail for MODIFIED vehicles. 

The two groups went off in different directions.

Click here to continue story

Copyright (c) 2016 Lone Writer, LLC. All rights reserved.